Monday, May 3, 2010

Greetings LOEX 2010 Conference attendees and fellow library staff!

If you know that you will need to teach what you are learning, you will learn it better from the start – Dr. Brian Coppola, U of M Professor of Chemistry.

How true! I know this certainly applies to me – case in point – the process I went through to learn about the nursing department’s evidence-based literature approach to research last year. I knew it was necessary for me to learn and understand PICO’s, levels of research, systematic reviews, etc. in order to teach nursing faculty and students, and librarians.

Dr. Coppola suggested having students generate the content and use rubrics to review others work. Also, have students explain how they came up with the answers. Have I done this? I’d like to say yes, but in reality I may have done a variation in past library instruction sessions.

As I was listening to this speaker I began thinking about how I might try this in my instruction sessions. I thought about using this approach in WRIT 122 with the topic of “vetted articles”. I might have students read about this topic and prepare to teach their co-students. To take it a step further, students could record their ideas as a podcast and we could post a representative podcast in the WRIT Libguides or on our library website.

This concept is applicable to both student and staff training, and library instruction. What do you think?

Conference attendees please contribute a post for at least two sessions you attended and include ideas that you might experiment with in future instruction sessions. Also, please be sure to respond to at least two other posts. Thanks, Kim



Great Conference!

1 comment:

  1. This idea of having students be prepared to explain an idea to others came up in a few sessions that I attended. In the session on using Wordle in library instruction, the presenters explained that they pass out index cards with the main concepts they will cover during the session and ask students to be prepared to explain these concepts at the end of the session. I might try this in my class.

    I like the idea of podcasts by students explaining key concepts, but I am not sure how to fit this into our current 2 hour sessions. The process that Brian Coppola described involved drafting a script, getting feedback, and finally recording. Maybe this would be possible if we can get a credit course for conducting research, but I don't know how to fit it into a Writing 122 session?

    ReplyDelete