Monday, July 16, 2007

ERB, Lifelong Learning, Literacy, Reader Development Program, READ

Although this is not a library 2.0 topic, it is a 2.0 way to invite participation! This summer, I have been working on reorganizing the Easy Reading Browsing collection (otherwise known as ERB). In meeting with faculty last spring, one suggestion I received was to rename the collection, but nobody had any suggestions for a new name.

The collection was originally called ERB because readers might be embarrassed to ask for the Easy Reading collection, hence the acronym. The Browsing part of the acronym came about because the collection is not arranged by LC call number.

In the search for a new name, I have been browsing other library websites. I have found Lifelong Learning collections, Literacy collections, and the Reader Development Program.

Other ideas I had were to name the collection after a famous person who struggled with reading, or a retired LCC reading teacher, or a successful LCC reading student. Then, the other day, I thought of calling it the READ Collection. It is built to encourage new readers and it supports the students in the READ classes, simple right? There is even an ALA poster with the word READ translated into multiple languages which could be posted near the collection to welcome ESL readers . I found one other community college in Hawaii with a READ collection for (more advanced) first year reading students.

What do you think about the idea of renaming ERB, the READ collection? Do you have any other suggestions for a name?

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of calling it the READ collection. It's short, descriptive, and easy to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to call it READ...and I love the that ALA has a poster we could use for our purposes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a lot of work and research for this, Suzanne. I think that renaming the ERB collection to READ is fitting and should be easy to promote as well.

    ReplyDelete