Thursday, February 22, 2007

Some thoughts and links from Suzanne B.

Here are some library 2.0 ideas that other libraries are trying that I think are promising...

University of Illinois Undergraduate Library has a page both on MySpace and Facebook. They don't advertise their page because that wouldn't be "cool" but they have already gotten over 400 friends without advertising. On the page there is a blog and a search box for books and articles from the library. So, they can actually get to the library catalog/databases right from MySpace.

U of I's MySpace Page

I also saw that Michigan State University Library created a search box to go with a personalized Google page which allows users to search the catalog/databases directly from their personalized Google page.

Even better, University of Illinois created their own search bar that works with either Firefox or Internet Explorer. It allows you to search departmental library websites, ask a Librarian, library's catalog, Online Research, the campus phonebook and Google:
University of Illinois Toolbar (I-GO)

I came across some of these ideas on David Lee King's blog.

Do you see anything here we might try at LCC?
Suzanne

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked the idea of being able to search the Library webpage directly. For example, if I wanted information on off-campus delivery, I could just type in my search from the Library homepage, and get results that are isolated to the Library's findings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of incorporating the LCC catalog into one's personalized Google page! Anyone know how to do this? ER

    ReplyDelete